Man suffers brain bleed after punch from plumber over comments about his girlfriend


A man has been left with a bleed to the brain and fractured face after he was knocked unconscious by a single punch in Blackpool.

When 23-year-old Charlie Sanderson was offended at comments about his girlfriend, he took a blow at Toby Beswick in the street, during the early hours of July 25 2021.

The plumber from Thornton-Cleveleys walked free from court after he was handed a suspended sentence, and ordered to remain sober, LancsLive reports.

Prosecutor Claire Larton said he had been drinking in Cleveleys town centre before going to Blackpool.

Then, between 3am and 4am, Mr Beswick left Bar 19 and walked to get a takeaway and a taxi home.

As he walked down the road, he came across a defendant, who he knew from previous occasions.

There was a verbal exchange between the two men and Beswick crossed the road.

Sanderson followed him and punched him once to the head, leaving him unconscious.

Witnesses called the police and Sanderson left the area, but 40 minutes later he also called police and confessed he had knocked Mr Beswick out.

On July 27, 2021, Mr Beswick went to Blackpool Victoria Hospital, complaining of a headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness, which he had suffered since the attack two days earlier.

He had been unable to attend work on the Monday morning and had two black eyes, Ms Larton said.

Doctors carried out a CT scan and referred the victim to Royal Preston Hospital for further treatment as it showed he had facial fractures and a bleed on the brain.

In a victim impact statement Mr Beswick said he spent ‘a few days’ in hospital and has had three follow up appointments.

He suffers repeated headaches and numbness to his face.

The attack has also affected his confidence and left him feeling wary in crowded places or around drunk people.

He has suffered financially, as he was unable to work in the construction trade for 15 weeks.

Sanderson pleaded guilty to wounding and appeared at Preston Crown Court to be sentenced.

Anthony Parkinson, defending, said: “His actions were entirely out of character. He has demonstrated himself, and to the people who know him better than me, a good deal of remorse for his actions that night.

“He is not going to be a regular visitor to these courts. This was an isolated incident.”

Mr Parkinson said Sanderson has no previous convictions and has sworn off alcohol for 50 – 60 days as it was adversely affecting his mental health.

He added the defendant had fallen into binge drinking and taking cocaine at the time of the attack but has taken steps to change his behaviour.

“These proceedings have been a real wake-up call and an eye opener for him”, Mr Parkinson said.

Recorder Jane Woodward, sentencing, handed Sanderson a 58-week sentence suspended for two years with 15 days rehabilitation activity requirements.

She also ordered 120 days alcohol abstinence monitoring, 150 hours of unpaid work and £3,000 compensation.